(MN) Maplewood, Senior Litigation Counsel - 3M
Description:The person hired for the position of Senior Counsel, Litigation and Preventive Law will be an experienced litigator joining a fast-paced team of five other lawyers and 24 legal professionals who jointly manage litigation and preventive law across 3M.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serving as the lead internal lawyer on high profile mass tort and product liability lawsuits in the U.S., including supervising outside counsel and consultants and carefully managing budgets.
- Strategically managing other types of litigation as needed, including insurance coverage and recovery, commercial disputes, intellectual property (patent, trademark, and trade secret), environmental, and employment.
- Advising 3M business and legal colleagues regarding litigation and company risk.
- Partnering with 3M business and specialist lawyers on preventative law matters to mitigate risk.
- Contributing to the efficiency and effectiveness of the Litigation and Preventive Law team.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school
- Active member of a state bar in good standing
- Minimum of ten (10) years of civil litigation practice, including appellate and trial court experience in state and federal courts
- Experience with e-discovery
- Experience in private practice serving as national counsel or as in-house litigation counsel
- Significant experience in product liability or mass tort litigation and, ideally, experience in commercial litigation, IP litigation, or insurance recovery/coverage litigation
- Highly effective written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to communicate at all levels of the organization, including business leaders, department leaders, and director-level management
- Long-term, strategic, and practical thinker
- Self-starter with the ability to triage and manage time-sensitive matters simultaneously and effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively at all levels within a team environment
- Honesty and uncompromising integrity
- Sense of humor