(NY) New York, Card Product Counsel - American Express
Description:Card Product Counsel: This position will provide legal support to U.S. Consumer Products and Services (CPS) with a focus on the consumer credit card portfolio. The position will work closely with business clients and legal professionals in the General Counsel’s Organization (GCO) to provide legal advice on a wide range of issues that arise on a day-to-day basis, including card marketing and acquisition, new product development, reward programs, and operational and compliance matters.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
Provide legal advice and guidance to product owners responsible for consumer credit cards on a range of matters including card marketing, card member communications, product development, and rewards programs
Partner with Line of Business Compliance and Global Marketing Operations to draft, review and approve marketing claims and disclosures
Support contract negotiations with vendors for cobrand card member events and promotions
Develop regulatory subject matter expertise across U.S. consumer finance regulations, with a particular emphasis on Truth in Lending Act and UDAAP
Support implementation of process improvements to streamline marketing review processes, including Agile Marketing Initiative
Participate as part of a team of seasoned attorneys and legal managers, offering thought leadership for practice group and GCO-wide projects
- Bachelor’s degree & J.D.
- Qualified to practice law in New York
- 3+ years of relevant in-house and/or law firm experience
- Experience in development and marketing of financial products and services and accompanying benefits is a plus
- Experience applying UDAAP and the Truth in Lending Act is a plus
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, take on new responsibilities and prioritize work in a dynamic, deadline intensive environment
- Ability to interpret and apply law and regulation in a practical, hands-on, common sense manner
- Ability to gain credibility, manage expectations, and develop strong working relationships with GCO colleagues and business clients; convey clear advice to clients
- Strong process-management skills and ability to help identify and implement improvements in work process to enhance efficiency and productivity.
- High energy, team-oriented, self-starter, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong work ethic and personal accountability