(NY) New York, Litigation Counsel - American Express
General Counsel’s Organization:
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy. Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Role & Responsibilities:
- Managing all aspects of complex consumer and commercial litigation (and pre-litigation disputes), including: analysis of disputes, early case assessments, mediations, litigation strategy, review of pleadings, preparation and supervision of arbitrations & trials
- Providing litigation root-cause analyses and mitigation strategies
- Undertaking analysis of litigation-related issues
- Providing litigation risk mitigation training and advice to business lawyers and clients, including review of contracts and other documents as necessary
- Managing internal and government investigations, where appropriate
- Actively managing outside counsel, litigation budgets, invoices, and expenses
Are you ready for the challenge?
- Bachelor’s degree & J.D.
- Qualified to practice law in relevant jurisdiction
- 10+ years in general litigation practice, with experience in commercial and consumer finance litigation and trials; first-chair experience and experience with supervision of mass and class actions are preferred
- Demonstrated experience in leading others, both through direct relationships and/or indirectly.
- Knowledge of the legal field and its intersection with business
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to generate creative and innovative solutions to client issues
- Ability to communicate complex issues clearly and persuasively, in both written and oral format
- Ability to build relationships and partner with others to drive results
- Capacity to be agile and pivot appropriately when challenged with new information or evolving circumstances