(MN) Maplewood, Counsel - Employee Benefits - 3M
3M is seeking an employee benefits lawyer for the Office of General Counsel located in our global headquarters in Maplewood, Minnesota. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The candidate hired for this opportunity will report to the Associate General Counsel – Labor & Employment and will be an integral member of a highly talented specialist team, with responsibility to provide valued legal counsel in support of 3M’s various benefits plans.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Delivering knowledgeable and practical advice regarding legal requirements applicable to the design and administration of employee health and welfare benefits, qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, and compensation programs. Areas of legal expertise include, but are not limited to: ERISA, state and federal tax, HIPAA, and ACA.
- Serving as subject matter expert for Mergers & Acquisition legal team with regard to employee benefits issues in acquisitions and/or divestitures.
- Working with HR clients to understand issues and priorities, apply sound legal analysis, and identify actionable solutions that meet client needs while maintaining compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and 3M policies.
- Expertly managing benefits-related claims and litigation in partnership with outside counsel, as needed.
- Formulating strategies and/or making recommendations regarding strategic matters to senior colleagues or senior management,
- Negotiating contracts with third party administrators and benefit service providers.
- Drafting and reviewing benefit plan documents, plan amendments, summary plan descriptions, and benefit communications.
- Advising ERISA fiduciaries and pension investment professionals on legal compliance.
- Developing and leading training on a range of employee benefits law topics.
- Developing and sharing knowledge and best practices with colleagues in support of a collaborative and high functioning team environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Possess a Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school
- Currently hold or eligible for Minnesota state bar admission
- Minimum of four (4) years of law firm and/or in-house counsel experience
- Experience in employee benefits law
- Strong working knowledge of ERISA, Internal Revenue Code and legal requirements applicable to employee benefit plans
- Experience with legal aspects of mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Business acumen and an ability to provide practical legal advice in the context of strategic business initiatives and goals
- Highly effective written and verbal communications skills, with an ability to communicate and relate at all levels of the organization including supervisors, business line leaders, regional heads and senior management
- Collaborative, communicative and highly collegial work style with clients and fellow team members
- Dedication to responsive client service
- Able to balance and deliver on multiple priorities simultaneously
- Creativity and independent initiative to investigate options and recommend solutions
- Strong academic credentials
- Uncompromising honesty and integrity