(IL) Chicago, Senior Counsel, Technology & Operations - BMO
Description:The Legal Counsel role provides and/or manages advanced level of legal advice and services on matters in which the BMO Financial Group may be engaged in order to achieve organizational goals and/or minimize legal risk. Individuals draw upon advanced knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of the law, governing legislation and contractual negotiation. Additionally, individuals draw upon knowledge of the financial industry and the regulatory environment for BMO Financial Group (or similar).
The Senior Counsel:
- Provides senior level specialized functional legal support, in the area of procurement, outsourcing and technology. May manage/lead and/or assign work to junior staff on specific files or provide day-to-day direction. Provides input to performance assessment and management of more junior team members. Experience with commercial real estate leasing is also an asset.
- Manages relationships with assigned groups and responds to complex legal issues for the enterprise, involving technology and operations matters.
- Provides senior level of legal advice and counsel to BMO Financial Group. Provides a senior level of counsel in the interpretation of legal issues and policies.
- Interprets legislation affecting the organization or client groups. Oversees satisfactory resolution of complex, sensitive and sometimes, ambiguous legal issues, typically with significant line of business implications.
- Oversees, exercises judgment on and resolves complex legal issues involving many stakeholders, often handling several matters at the same time.
- Directs significant legal actions in which the organization is involved, either directly or through outside counsel; including management and oversight of outside counsel.
- 10 – 15 years of relevant legal experience gained in private practice or in-house.
- Called to the bar in New York or Illinois for at least 10 years.
- A degree in law (LLB or JD ) and a license to practice law in Illinois
- 10 – 15 years of relevant legal experience gained in private practice or in-house
- Called to the bar in New York or Illinois for at least 10 years
- Knowledge of legal matters related to procurement, outsourcing and technology. Experience with commercial real estate leasing is also an asset.
- Knowledge of business and regulatory environment in which BMO Financial Group operates, including technology and outsourcing. Commercial real estate is also an asset.
- Skills in proactively providing ideas, advice and solutions relative to legal issues
- Strong analytical capability and judgement
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Above average negotiations skills
- Good relationship management skills/able to relate at all levels
- Ability to work independently or in team environment
- Strong research skills