(US) Negotiable, Senior Legal Counsel - Ethics & Compliance, Data Privacy - Accenture
Description:Join Accenture and help transform leading organizations and communities around the world. The sheer scale of our capabilities and client engagements and the way we collaborate, operate and deliver value provides an unparalleled opportunity to grow and advance. Choose Accenture, and make delivering innovative work part of your extraordinary career.
People in the Corporate Function career track contribute to the running of Accenture as a high- performance business through specialization within a specific functional area, and grow into internally focused roles by deepening their skills and/or developing new skills within an internal functional area.
Legal and Commercial Services professionals deliver and coordinate legal, contract and commercial advice and counsel in support of Accenture's or our clients' business, working to manage and mitigate risk and ensure ethical behavior and compliance with laws and company policies.
The Senior Legal Counsel – Ethics & Compliance, Data Privacy is a full time senior manager role filled by an experienced, expert data privacy professional. The role sits within Accenture’s Compliance and Ethics function in Legal and reports to the Senior Director, Global Data Privacy.
- Lead the Data Privacy Compliance tower in Accenture’s Global Data Privacy Team and manage assigned employees, providing strategic oversight and leadership in close cooperation with the leads of other towers and under the direction of the Data Privacy (DP) program lead
- Ensure compliance with a focus on personal data processed under the responsibility of Accenture, including HR, marketing, and IT initiatives, and design and implement related guidance, procedures and rules
- Work closely with CIO and IT security functions to review new and changing tools, implement privacy by design, and help defining data handling strategy
- Oversee and enhance the DP Team’s monitoring/auditing program and capabilities
- Work closely with relevant stakeholders in defining and maintaining robust incident response processes, provide advice and participate in company response to data privacy and security incidents and subsequent notifications to individuals and regulators
- Oversee registrations of processing activities with regulators; coordinate response to subject access requests and data privacy related complaints
- Keep abreast of technology trends and developments and their impact, and develop guidance for internal and external audiences
- In support of other functions of the DP team, provide expert consultancy and advice to Legal, business and corporate functions in respect of data privacy and data security, compliance and associated risks and opportunities relating to new business, offerings and internal projects
Reports to: Managing Director – Legal, Senior Director, Data Privacy.
- Legal, including Government Relations, Sales & Delivery, Employment Law, Offerings, Geographic Support, and external counsel;
- Corporate Functions including CIO, Information Security, HR and Employee Relations
- Geographic leadership and the Data Privacy Officer network;
- Data Privacy and Security consulting practice;
- Related subject matter experts (e.g. security professionals, PCI, government compliance, records retention SMEs),
- Privacy professionals at client and peer companies; and
- Regulatory points of contact.
- JD or equivalent law degree
- Qualified lawyer or minimum of 8 years of experience with applied data privacy law
- CIPP or comparable certifications, or willingness to obtain such, required
- Minimum 5 years of experience in global data privacy function preferably in a major law firm or a multinational corporation
- Experience and expertise with major national data privacy legislation and cross border issues
- A network of industry and data privacy regulatory contacts
- Experience in monitoring trends and developments and translating those into actionable projects
- Demonstrated command of data privacy, data security, employment law and related laws and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to identify, understand and assess trends, and curiosity for new technology
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills with the ability to interface with all levels of management and staff, work cross-culturally, and represent Accenture externally
- Confidence and credibility in dealing with internal management, senior personnel at client and peer companies, data privacy regulators, and industry bodies;
- Highly motivated and proactive, with the ability to articulate company vision and policy, and to seek out areas of risk and priority;
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment
- Builds and maintains a network of good working relationships both internally and externally
- Adapts nimbly to changing needs within the business
- Able to speak for the Company’s interests to both internal and external audiences
- Demonstrated leadership in professional setting; either military or civilian
- Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration in a professional setting; either military or civilian
- Travel required as needed
- Must have ability to effectively work and manage resources remotely