(MN) Maplewood, Environmental Health & Safety Counsel - 3M
3M is seeking a regular, full-time lawyer for the Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) area of the Office of General Counsel, located at our global headquarters in Maplewood, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the position of Counsel will be an EHS subject matter expert in the Office of General Counsel in 3M Legal Affairs.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Providing legal support and compliance counseling to 3M businesses and staff functions in facility and product EHS subject matter areas – including laws and regulations relating to hazardous waste (RCRA), air emissions (CAA, state VOC regulations on products), workplace health and safety (OSHA), chemical control (e.g., TSCA, FIFRA, Proposition 65, REACH).
- Assisting in the design and implementation of EHS management, compliance, and governance systems.
- Providing oversight and review of EHS auditing and investigation programs and reports.
- Providing legal representation in agency enforcement matters and negotiating sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school
- Minimum of five (5) combined years of law firm and/or in-house experience
- Demonstrated expertise and applied knowledge of agency rules, programs and enforcement procedures associated with hazardous waste regulations, air emission standards, chemical control and product safety-related laws and regulations, and workplace health and safety standards
- Admitted to practice in Minnesota or eligible for admission within six months of employment
- Working knowledge of supply chain EHS laws and regulations, such as WEEE/RoHS, conflict minerals, legal harvesting laws (Lacey Act), and state and federal e-recycling requirements
- EHS-related administrative procedure, litigation and dispute resolution experience including, for example, administrative challenges to regulatory citations/NOVs and CERCLA cost allocation
- Strong academic credentials
- Business acumen and demonstrated ability to provide legal and compliance advice in the context of strategic business initiatives and goals
- Significant client counseling experience
- High energy, commitment to collegiality and collaboration, and dedication to responsive client service
- Track record of working independently
- Experience leading project teams, including collaboration with non-lawyer technical EHS professionals, business leaders and legal colleagues with complementary expertise.
- Experience conducting and managing compliance assessments, regulatory self-disclosures and agency negotiations
- Managing outside counsel, including negotiation and implementation of project budgets and alternative fee arrangements
- Strong oral and written communication skills