(IL) Chicago, Senior Counsel, Capital Markets - BMO
Description:There’s never been a better time to be part of BMO.
We’ve set our sights on being the bank that defines great customer experience. Our customers’ needs are changing and so are we.
Everyone who works here has a role to play in making a difference for our customers. Every day.
We’ve got big goals. Even bigger dreams. And we’re looking for great individuals to help us achieve them. We’re growing rapidly, with operations spanning the globe. Looking for new experiences? You’ll find them here.
We are more than 46,000 passionate individuals serving the financial needs of more than 12 million customers. In addition to our customer-facing groups, our teams behind the scenes provide essential support — innovating, building, communicating, protecting and providing the insight we need to succeed.
We are currently seeking a Senior Counsel with 7+ years of corporate lending or trade finance experience for our Capital Makets team.
The Counsel role provides and manages the delivery of legal advice and services on products, services, initiatives, policies and developments for and on behalf of BMO Financial Group to achieve organizational goals while minimizing legal risk. The role draws on knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of the law and knowledge of the financial services industry and its environment to implement areas of improvement, to ensure consistency with market practice, to identify risk, to ensure compliance with internal policies & procedures and to communicate appropriately with stakeholders for various functions/activities for an assigned business area and communicating appropriately with stakeholders. In addition, to respond to the changing marketplace, increasing globalization and emerging technologies, the Counsel must also, together with the broader legal team, balance organizational risks and corporate objectives and strive to add value as both a legal and a business advisor, while maintaining independence yet acknowledging BMO’s strategy and vision.
Key accountabilities include:
Legal Advice (60%)
- provides and/or manages the delivery of legal advice from external and/or internal counsel
- ensures compliance with internal policies and procedures
- interprets legislation affecting the organization or assigned groups
- ensures ongoing delivery of legal advice
- implements areas of improvement to ensure consistency with market practice
- as appropriate, contributes to and propose strategy and design of legal advice strategies
- identifies risks and communicates appropriate with stakeholders, in support of functions/activities of an assigned business group.
- Minimum requirements are a degree in law (LLB or JD) and license to practice law in relevant jurisdiction
- Knowledge in legal field, typically with a functional or business line specialization
- Knowledge of business and regulatory environment in which BMO Financial Group operates, usually in a specific line of business or specialized activity.
- Skills in proactively providing ideas, advice and solutions relative to legal issues
- Strong analytical capability and judgement
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Above average negotiations skills
- Good relationship management skills/able to relate at all levels
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment
- Desired behaviours:
- Customer focused leadership
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills
- Solution oriented: Ability to identify risks and implement appropriate actions to mitigate them