(WA) Redmond, Attorney, Services - Microsoft
Description:Microsoft’s Corporate, External, & Legal Affairs (CELA) Services team has an immediate opening for an attorney supporting the Microsoft Services organization. Microsoft Services is responsible for enabling use of Microsoft technologies, products and online services by customers - from consumers to large commercial and government enterprises. This attorney will report to the Assistant General Counsel and provide strategic and transactional support and guidance to the enterprise services business. In addition, this individual will be responsible for the drafting of Services agreements and related empowerment guidelines, which includes new business models or complex alliance transactions like IoT. In this role, you will have frequent contact with all levels of Microsoft managers, employees, and attorney colleagues, as well as outside partners, customers and vendors, as applicable. You will collaborate with subject matter experts and support the business in working through critically important, cutting edge and complex transactional issues.
The position will be based in Redmond, Washington.
- Attorney supporting the enterprise services business, which includes consulting and support.
- Advise on a broad range of complex legal, business, and strategic issues, intellectual property, data protection, privacy, and licensing.
- Partner with client’s marketing, offerings and field teams to develop and bring to market new business models.
- Collaborate with CELA colleagues, clients and policy specialists worldwide to develop global transactional policies and practices.
- Assist with developing playbooks and processes to enable consistency in terms and approach.
- Provide client education and training on relevant legal issues and develop process-related innovation to drive efficiency and improvement in how we deliver legal services.
- Comprehensive knowledge of IT issues affecting transactional support, including technical, privacy and security, business, compliance, and legal issues.
- Superior communication skills and experience with active listening and understanding information gathered from various sources, and ability to communicate legal advice promptly and pragmatically in a business context.
- Up-to-date working knowledge of Microsoft products
- Well-rounded business perspective; passion for technology and willingness to learn.
- Ability to contribute positively as a member of a team in an intense, fast-paced environment.
- Agility to navigate a diverse organization and obtain inputs from stakeholders in a productive and timely manner.
- Results-driven problem-solver who can take ownership while remaining inclusive of others.
- Ability to work independently in a legal role with a heavy emphasis on business agreements and negotiations with customers and partners.
- Disciplined, focused, thorough and dedicated to meeting high standards of excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across a global organization, in person and virtually, across time zones as needed.
- Ability to meet deadlines on short time frames and under pressure, setting and adjusting priorities quickly.
- Excellent time management, prioritization and organizational skills.
- Flexible and adaptable "people person" who recognizes and celebrates others’ talents and contributions.
- J.D. degree and active bar membership required.
- Experience (7+ years) as in-house counsel or in a law firm.
- Successful candidate will have significant experience handling legal issues in technology environment, while demonstrating a well-rounded business perspective and solution-oriented approach.